National Household Sample Survey - PNAD
The National Household Sample Survey - PNAD, carried out annually, was finished in 2016, with the release of information for 2015. Planned to produce results for Brazil, Major Regions, Federation Units and nine Metropolitan Regions (Belém, Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Curitiba and Porto Alegre), it surveyed, on an ongoing basis, general characteristics of the population, education, labor, income and housing, and, according to the information needs for the country, having the household as its unit of survey. The PNAD was replaced, with updated methodology, with the Continuous National Household Sample Survey - Continuous PNAD, which provides a more comprehensive territorial coverage and provides quarterly short-term information on the workforce nationwide.
The PNAD started in the second quarter of 1967, and its results were presented quarterly until the first quarter of 1970. From 1971 on, the survey has become annual, being carried out in the last quarter, being interrupted in the years of Population Censuses. In 1974-1975, a special survey, named National Study on Household Expenditure - ENDEF, was conducted and, as it was being carried out, the basic PNAD survey was suspended. In 1994, for exceptional reasons, the survey was not conducted. Over time, PNAD underwent methodological updates, some restricted to the sampling plan, and others related to the comprehensiveness and the conceptualizations of the surveyed aspects, in line with international recommendations.
During the 49 years of its existence, PNAD has been an important instrument for the formulation, validation and evaluation of policies targeted to the socioeconomic development of the population and the improvement of the living conditions in the country.
Re-weighted microdata of PNAD 2001 - 2012 with Projection of the Population of Brazil and Federation Units - Revision 2013, by sex and age. Estimates for the population of municipalities, using the 2000-2010 growth trend of municipalities.
Updated on December 23, 2015 - Documentation of the re-weighted microdata from 2001 to 2012 completed.
- PNAD 2001
- PNAD 2002
- PNAD 2003 - Updated on August 14, 2015 to correct the limits of variable V3033 at the persons dictionary.
- PNAD 2004 - Updated on December 14, 2017 to include variable V4623A (see Technical Note).
- PNAD 2005 - Updated on July 4, 2018 to amend corrupted file.
- PNAD 2006
- PNAD 2007 - Updated on August 14, 2015 to correct the limits of variable V3033 at the persons dictionary.
- PNAD 2008
- PNAD 2009 - Updated on December 28, 2017 to amend variables V0105 and V0106 of five records. Updated on August 7, 2017 to change the name of variable V4623 to V4623A (see Technical Note). Updated on August 14, 2015 to correct the limits of variable V3033 at the persons dictionary.
- PNAD 2011 - Updated on August 14, 2015 to correct the limits of variable V3033 at the persons dictionary.
- PNAD 2012 - Updated on August 14, 2015 to correct the limits of variable V3033 at the persons dictionary.
- PNAD 2013 - Updated on August 7, 2017 to include variable V4623A (see Technical Note). Updated on April 29, 2015 at 12:00pm, including the Basic survey, the Supplement of Food Security and the Supplement of Access to the Internet and Television and Ownership of Mobile Telephones for Personal Use of PNAD 2013.
- PNAD 2014 - Updated on March 23, 2017 at 10:00am, including the Basic, Supplement of Access to the Internet and Television and Ownership of Mobile Telephones for Personal Use, Supplement of Access to the Single Registry for Social Programs of the Federal Government and Programs of Productive Insertion, Supplement of Socio-employment Mobility and Supplement of Education and Professional Qualification surveys.
- PNAD 2015 - Updated on May 17, 2017 at 10:00am, including the Basic, Supplement of Access to the Internet and Television and Ownership of Mobile Telephones for Personal Use of the PNAD 2015, Aspects of Care taking of Children Aged Less than 4 years 2015, Aspects of Labor Relations and Unionization 2015 and Practice of Sports and Physical Activity 2015 surveys.
- Dictionaries and input
- PNAD 2015 Readme
- Reading in R
- Imputation mark
Microdata of PNAD 2001 up to 2012 with Projection of the Brazilian Population - Revision 2008, by sex and age. Estimates for the population of municipalities, using the 2000-2010 growth trend of municipalities.
Tables - 2015
- 1 General Data (xls | ods)
- 2 Migration (xls | ods)
- 3 Education (xls | ods)
- 4 Labor (xls | ods)
- 5 Households (xls | ods)
- 6 Housing Units (xls | ods)
- 7 Income (xls | ods)
- 8 Technology (xls | ods)
The IBGE adopts a review policy of the data disclosed by this statistical operation. Data review means any and all scheduled revision of numerical data due to new information, which was not accessible at the time of the first disclosure. For instance: late data that replaces a non-response; or data corrected by the informant himself; or a set of data that has undergone editing and imputation. For more detailed information about the published data review policy of the IBGE statistical operations, check the list of short-term, long-term and special surveys carried out by the Institute with their respective revision procedure on: https://biblioteca.ibge.gov.br/index.php/biblioteca-catalogo?view=detalhes&id=298009.
Publications - 2015
Tipo de material: Book
Methodological considerations can be obtained in Portuguese in the chapter on Technical notes of the result publications of the survey.
News and releases
Change in the PNAD 2009 microdata
Published date: 28/12/2017 04:12
Description: Change in the PNAD 2009 microdata.
Actions: The file was amended ans replaced due to a problem in two variables of the household microdata , and updated for Revision 2013.
Changes in the PNAD 2015 Supplement - Practice of Sports and Physical Activities
Published date: 13/06/2017 02:06
Description: Changes included in the Presentation, References and Technical Team with the supplement Practice of Sports and Physical Activities - PNAD 2015.
Actions: File amended and replaced.
Update of PNAD 2014 microdata
Published date: 23/03/2017 01:03
Description: Update of the PNAD 2014 microdata, relative to the Education section in the Basic Survey, after the release of the supplement Education and Professional Qualification.
Actions: File corrected and replaced on the IBGE website.
Update of microdata of the National Household Sample Survey 2014
Published date: 23/03/2017 01:03
Description: Update of microdata of PNAD 2014, relative to the segment of Education of Basic Research, due to the release of the supplement Education and Professional Qualification.
Actions: File amended and replaced.
Replacement of files of result tables of PNAD - Internet Access and Possession of Mobile Telephone for Personal Use 2013 - available in the website
Published date: 08/01/2016 12:01
Description: Replacement of files to change the table items on level of schooling. Where it showed Complete Secondary before Incomplete Secondary Education an inversion was made to set the correct order: Incomplete Secondary Education first and then Complete Secondary Education.
Actions: Files amended and replaced and update note included in the page giving access to the files.
Replacement of the Publication of PNAD 2014 - Summary of Indicators 2014
Published date: 13/11/2015 10:11
Description: Typo correction of a figure pointing out the difference of values between the year 2014 and 2013 which are shown in graph 22, page 53 (columns Brazil values 2013 and 2014 - correct in the graph itself; respectively: 34,728 in 2013 and 35,073 in 2014). The difference between these two values is 345 instead of 340, as written in the text.
Actions: Errata included in the printed publication. Publication replaced before being put out on the Internet.
Replacement of the Publication and tables PNAD 2013 - Volume Brazil
Published date: 28/07/2015 06:07
Description: Amendment of errors that took place during the expansion of the sample of PNAD 2013, which caused changes in the results of seven states: Ceará, Pernambuco, Bahia, Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul.
Actions: Files amended and replaced and update note included in the page giving access to the files. Errata included in printed publication.
Update of microdata in the Continuous National Household Sample Survey Quarterly edition - Q4 2016
Published date: 01/01/1970 12:01
Description: Inclusion of the variable V40763 in the microdata of the National Household Sample Survey - Q4 2016
Actions: File corrected ans replaced on the IBGE website.