Nossos serviços estão apresentando instabilidade no momento. Algumas informações podem não estar disponíveis.
Brazilian Semi-arid Region
The Brazilian Semi-Arid Region is delimited by the Superintendence of Northeastern Development - SUDENE, considering the weather conditions that prevail in the semi-arid contexts, as the pluviometry. As a reflex of the weather conditions, the hydrography is frail, in various ways, being unable to support the larger rivers so that they can be perennial in the long drought periods, the exception being the São Francisco River. Due to its hydrologic characteristics, which allow for its subsistence throughout the year, the São Francisco River gains a special meaning to the populations living by the river and those of the Sertão area.
About the publication - 2018
The Brazilian Semiarid comprises 1,262 municipalities, of the states of Maranhão, Piauí, Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba, Pernambuco, Alagoas, Sergipe, Bahia and Minas Gerais. The criteria used to delimit the Semiarid were average annual rainfall equal to or lower than 800 mm; Thornthwaite aridity index equal to or lower than 0.50; and daily percentage of water deficit equal to or greater than 60%, considering all the days in the year. The responsibility to establish technical and scientific criteria to delimit the Semiarid was given to the Advisory Board - CONDEL of the Superintendence for the Development of the Northeast - SUDENE by Complementary Law no. 125, of January 3, 2007, which established them through the Resolutions of the SUDENE´s Advisory Board no. 107, of July 27, 2017, and no. 115, of November 23, 2017.
The previous delimitation of the Brazilian Semiarid added up to 982,563.3 km2. The Northeast Region concentrated nearly 89.5% of this area, encompassing most of the northeastern states, except for Maranhão, and the state of Minas Gerais, located in the Southeast Region, completes the remaining 10.5% (103,589.96 km2). The previous division was delimited based on the isohyet of 800 mm, Thorntwaite aridity index of 1941 (municipalities with index up to 0.50) and risk of drought (above 60%).
More on the product - 2018
Learn more - 2018
Is the IBGE responsible for Brazilian Semi-arid Region delimitation?
No. The Superintendence of Northeastern Development (SUDENE) is responsible for the Brazilian Semi-arid Region delimitation.
Why does the IBGE classifies the Brazilian Semi-arid Region as a geographic subdivision?
The IBGE aims to release geographic subdivisions that are relevant for statistical dissemination, planning and for public and private investment.
Which is the frequency of the Brazilian Semi-arid Region updating?
Brazilian Semi-arid Region, as a legal subdivision, will only have its delimitation updated when there is a legislative or normative update of these subdivisions. Existing updates related to the Territorial Division of Brazil might have an impact on the states and municipalities borders and nomenclature.
Where can I obtain more information about the Brazilian Semi-arid Region?
For more information on SUDENE, please visit the institution’s website (http://sudene.gov.br/delimitacao-do-semiarido).
Is the Brazilian Semi-arid Region the only operation area of SUDENE?
No. The operation area of SUDENE encompasses the states of Maranhão, Piauí, Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba, Pernambuco, Alagoas, Sergipe and Bahia; the region and municipalities of the state of Minas Gerais, which the Laws no. 1,348 of 02.10.1951, no. 6,218 of 07.07.1975, and no. 9,690 of 07.15.1998 are addressed to; the municipalities of Águas Formosas, Angelândia, Aricanduva, Arinos, Ataléia, Bertópolis, Campanário, Carlos Chagas, Catuji, Crisólita, Formoso, Franciscópolis, Frei Gaspar, Fronteira dos Vales, Itaipé, Itambacuri, Jenipapo de Minas, José Gonçalves de Minas, Ladainha, Leme do Prado, Machacalis, Monte Formoso, Nanuque, Novo Oriente de Minas, Ouro Verde de Minas, Pavão, Pescador, Ponto dos Volantes, Poté, Riachinho, Santa Fé de Minas, Santa Helena de Minas, São Romão, Serra dos Aimorés, Setubinha, Teófilo Otoni, Umburatiba and Veredinha, all in the state of Minas Gerais; and, also, the municipalities of Espírito Santo related to Law no. 9,690 of 07.15.1998, as well as the municipality of Governador Lindenberg.
Still in doubt?
Please contact us by e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, 0800 721 8181.