Statistical Municipal Maps of the Population Estimates
They are the Maps of the Municipalities that had any change in their borders and that supported the Population Estimates. Such redefinition did not occur in all the Brazilian municipalities, that is why maps were not produced for all of them.
The Statistical Municipal Maps of the Population Estimates represent the intra-municipal Political-Administrative Division (districts and sub-districts), inter-municipal and interstate borders, borders of the enumeration areas, planimetric and altimetric elements and hydrography. The maps of the enumeration areas involve the description of their borders, which also contains information on the territorial structures that the enumeration area belongs to.
The population estimates annually produced by the IBGE take into account the up-to-date condition of the Brazilian Political-Administrative Division - DPA. The dynamics of the DPA reflects the changes occurred in the territorial borders of the municipalities, under the scope of the covenants that the IBGE maintains with state offices. The territorial changes occurred since the release of the results of the 2010 Population Census that impacted on the population estimates were due to one of the following factors:
- New legislation changing the descriptions of the municipal borders
- Cartographic adjustments officially informed to the IBGE by state offices
- Installation of new municipalities
- Legal decisions or decision of the IBGE´s Federal Prosecutor´s Office
Unlike the previous factors, it is not the border that is changed in this factor, but rather the population of a given locality is counted in another municipality.
About the publication - 2020
The annual population estimates produced by the IBGE take into account the updated status of the Brazilian Political-Administrative Division - DPA, including the updating occurred in the municipal borders under the scope of the covenants of technical cooperation the IBGE maintains with state offices for the consolidation of the municipal borders.
The territorial updates sent by these bodies to IBGE in the period between May 1st, 2019 and April 30, 2020 (please, see the note below) were incorporated into the methodology of the 2020 Population Estimates. The list of participating municipalities can be consulted in the following document (https://biblioteca.ibge.gov.br/visualizacao/livros/liv101747.pdf): "Estimates of the resident population for Brazilian municipalities and Federation Units with reference date of July 1, 2020" - available on the IBGE website.
NOTE: According to Resolution No. 17 of May 2020, considering, especially, the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), the IBGE has decided to postpone until June 30, 2020, the term established in art. 3rd of R.PR nº 5/2015 for receiving, at its headquarters, the Official Letters from the state agencies responsible for the political-administrative division, reporting the territorial updates in its political-administrative division.
The following chart summarizes the number of municipalities, by Federation Unit, with territorial updating involving population rearrangement and/or significant adjustments in the cartographic representation of the municipal borders.
|FEDERATION UNITS||No.OF UPDATED MUNICIPALITIES|
For the complete list of municipalities, please, click on https://www.ibge.gov.br/estatisticas/sociais/populacao/9103-estimativas-de-populacao.html?=&t=publicacoes.
The territorial changes occurred since the release of the results of the 2010 Population Census, that impacted on the 2020 Population Estimates, were due to one of the following factors:
- new state legislation changing the descriptions of the municipal borders;
- cartographic adjustments officially informed to the IBGE by state offices;
- better identification and cartographic representation of the municipal polygons, due to the innovations of the geotechnologies that allow the use of several cartographic inputs and equipment.
It is worth mentioning that the Municipalities that are not included in the list of the 2020 Population Estimates did not have their maps updated in that year, and their maps can be found in the 2010 Census repository, or, in the folders of subsequent years, between 2011 and 2019, if they had their limits changed.
- The Municipal Maps, were generated from a compilation of geospatial data in an automated way, aiming at the exclusive use of IBGE's surveys, focusing on field operations. In this way, the use for purposes other than statistical ones must be done with due care on the part of the user;
- This series of maps is not part of the series of products referring to the Brazilian Systematic Mapping, therefore, it does not fit into the technical criteria established for such series;
- Municipal Maps are available in PDF format;
- The technical norm (ABNT format) for the original printing of the files is A0;
- In case of printing in sizes other than the A0 standard, the products present a graphic scale, which will allow to vary the print standards and sizes together with the content of the maps;
- There is no declared nominal scale for any map. It is up to the user, if necessary, to calculate the differences based on the graphic scale;
- All files are georeferenced using the GeoPDF format. They can be opened, in a georeferenced way, by any GIS platform or geoinformation software that accepts such format;
- Datum: SIRGAS 2000 (EPSG: 4674).